Maintenance is key when you have a septic system to take care of! Even though maintenance can be overlooked most of the time, it is the number one way to help prevent repairs. A well maintained septic system is a happy system and one that won’t require large repairs with hefty costs attached.
There are certain key components that are part of a good maintenance check up on septic systems. These steps are exactly what we at Septic Expert can do for you to make you won’t be surprised with a failing system one day. The list below includes the steps that need to happen to make sure your septic system to doing it’s job.
- Perform a visual and odour examination for all the components of your system, not just one. We need to make sure that everything is working properly, not just one thing!
- Removal and cleaning of effluent filter. This filter prevents solids from plugging up the drain field but they do need to be cleaned frequently to prevent backups happening in the home.
- Cleaning or replacing air filters. Filters in the air compressors should be replaced at least once a year.
- A test run should be performed on sewage pumps and floats as well as performing a load test on all pumps. This gives you the life expectancy of the pump and allows you to budget for a replacement when it’s needed. This way you can avoid expensive surprises!
- Determine if tanks/components need pumping, this is your real money saver. If pumping is done too late it can risk damage to your drain field - which can be an extremely expensive mistake.
- A visual inspection of your septic field is also crucial to check for ponding and any other trouble indicators.
- Checking your alarm and panel function is also an important part of the maintenance process, this is where we find out if there has been any trouble since our last visit.
There can be a lot of steps to maintaining your septic system so it can be easy to get overwhelmed. That’s where Septic Expert comes in, get in touch with us and schedule some maintenance to help prevent any future surprise repairs!Tags: Bowen Island Septic, Fraser Valley, Fraser Valley Septic, Fuji System, North Shore, North Vancouver Septic, Okanagan Septic, Recreational Septic, Septic Chilliwack, Septic Lower Mainland, Septic Vancouver, Waste Water Management